News

Kitchen fire put out by residents

  - Record file image
— image credit: Record file image

A Mission family won't be living in their home for a while after a kitchen fire Tuesday afternoon.

Local firefighters were called to the house on Ptarmigan Drive, where an unattended pot on the stove lead to a blaze which destroyed the appliance and many of the cupboards, said Chief Ian Fitzpatrick.

A father and son were home at the time, and managed to get the fire out before crews arrived.

Fitzpatrick noted there were no batteries in the smoke alarm, and said even those few extra seconds of notice may have reduced the amount of damage.

The two people were treated by B.C. Ambulance paramedics on scene, and released. The house was fully insured, and the family will be put up overnight by Mission's Emergency Social Services, he added.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

VIDEO: Witnesses describe scene at Parliament Hill; Raw footage of Ottawa shootings
 
Local charity joins fight against Ebola
 
Security stepped up in B.C. after attacks in Ottawa
UPDATE: B.C. legislature to get security scanner
 
Silverdale Nightmare Haunted House opens this week
 
Soldier killed in Parliament Hill siege
George Canyon plays in Mission
 
Election 2014: Five mayoral, 19 council candidates in Mission
 
Mission celebrates Diwali

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 17 edition online now. Browse the archives.