- Mission 125
UPDATED: Mission home destroyed by fire Friday afternoon
A fire on Moss Avenue destroyed a house Dec. 23.
Shortly before 3 p.m. Mission firefighters from all three stations were called to the residence off Stave Lake Road, just north of municipal hall.
Fire was pouring out of all the windows by the time firefighters arrived, said Chief Ian Fitzpatrick.
No one was injured in the blaze, but the damage was heavy enough that an excavator was brought in to level what was left of the structure.
Fitzpatrick said a son of one of the three renters living at the house was outside playing basketball with his babysitter. They heard the dog barking and went inside to find the upstairs on fire.
Two of the three renters were housed for 72 hours at the Best Western under the care of Emergency Social Services. The other individual went to Abbotsford, said the chief.
Mission Community Services is now helping the other two get back on their feet, he added.