News

Hatzic secondary closed due to fire

An overnight accidental fire at Hatzic Secondary School closed the building Monday.

Mission Fire/Rescue Service was called to the high school around 9:30 p.m. Sunday and found the blaze located in a science lab store room in the west wing.

Investigators determined Monday morning it originated in a fire-rated storage container. Plastic left on top of the canister eventually caught fire and the smoke triggered the sprinkler system, which limited damage to that room.

While some chemicals were kept there, Fire Chief Ian Fitzpatrick said they were diluted sufficiently so there was no hazardous materials concern, a sentiment echoed by Superintendent of Schools Frank Dunham.

The school district is waiting to find out how much smoke, if any, was drawn into the ventilation system before deciding whether to open Hatzic tomorrow, said Dunham.

He expected to be able to make a decision by the end of Monday.

Check back here for details or visit the school district's website.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Fraser Health gets new president
 
Enjoy holiday tunes at Christmas at the Clarke
 
Mission Arts Council sets up gallery downtown
Theft foils Heritage Park school fundraiser
 
Richmond couple pitch touchscreen innovation to Dragons’ Den
 
B.C. Federation of Labour votes to back transit referendum
Mayhem on Surrey roads on the weekend
 
Surrey RCMP seek help finding Halloween hit-and-run driver
 
Operation Red Nose ready to hit the road for another season

Community Events, November 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Nov 21 edition online now. Browse the archives.