News

Richards Avenue home gutted by fire

Mission firefighters battled a stubborn house fire for about six hours Saturday afternoon on Richards Avenue.

The crews were called shortly before noon, with firefighters from station one, three and North Fraser on scene helping control the fire.

Fire Chief Ian Fitzpatrick said an investigation showed the point of origin was the bedroom, and the fire was accidental, but offered no confirmation on what started the blaze.

No one was injured.

 

Smoke alarms work

Local fire crews were sent to the 9200-block of Hayward Street Monday night for a kitchen fire.

Fitzpatrick said the smoke alarm alerted the parents in the home to a frying pan that had been left on the stove. The contents burned and caught the kitchen on fire, and the homeowner tried to extinguish it with a garden hose but was overcome with smoke.

Firefighters kept the damage contained to the kitchen, which is a write-off, said Fitzpatrick. The family is fully insured.

“This again proves that smoke alarms truly do save lives,” said the chief.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Community Events, April 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Apr 11 edition online now. Browse the archives.