- BC Games
Firefighters respond to weekend fires in Mission
Mission police are looking for four youth seen fleeing from the Cedar Valley area after a small scrap pile of wood was set on fire near a home under construction.
Witnesses extinguished the blaze before firefighters arrived at around 2:30 p.m.
Police say there was no damage to the structure and the youth are described to be between 11 and 15 years old.
Firefighters and RCMP were also called to a fire at an apartment building on Second Avenue, near Murray Street, at about 5:30 p.m. that same day.
When firefighters arrived, there was heavy black smoke showing from the back side of the building, said Fire Chief Larry Watkinson.
Fire crews put out the fire, which originated on the porch of a third-floor unit.
"A propane tank was involved in the fire, but no explosion occurred. However, the rubber hose going to the barbecue valves was burnt through and caused a blowtorch effect," said Watkinson.
The fire was caused by smoking material left on the porch, he added.
Most of the damage was contained to one unit, but some other units sustained water damage.
After the fire, Watkinson reminded residents to shut off their gas valve on the barbecue when it's not in use, and make sure your cigarette is fully extinguished.