Richards Avenue home gutted by fire

Mission Fire/Rescue Service was called to Richards Avenue Saturday afternoon for a house fire

Mission firefighters battled a stubborn house fire for about six hours Saturday afternoon on Richards Avenue.

The crews were called shortly before noon, with firefighters from station one, three and North Fraser on scene helping control the fire.

Fire Chief Ian Fitzpatrick said an investigation showed the point of origin was the bedroom, and the fire was accidental, but offered no confirmation on what started the blaze.

No one was injured.

 

Smoke alarms work

Local fire crews were sent to the 9200-block of Hayward Street Monday night for a kitchen fire.

Fitzpatrick said the smoke alarm alerted the parents in the home to a frying pan that had been left on the stove. The contents burned and caught the kitchen on fire, and the homeowner tried to extinguish it with a garden hose but was overcome with smoke.

Firefighters kept the damage contained to the kitchen, which is a write-off, said Fitzpatrick. The family is fully insured.

“This again proves that smoke alarms truly do save lives,” said the chief.