The seventh annual Mission Writers and Readers Festival takes place Saturday, March 1 at Heritage Park Centre.
The event runs from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. with registration beginning at 9:30 a.m. There will be lunch and draw prizes.
UFV writer-in-residence Daniela Elza will be speaking about “Inspiring Writers and Readers.” She has been published nationally and internationally in more than 80 publications. She is the author of three poetry books.
Workshops throughout the day are:
• The Big Bang Theory of Creative Writing with John Carroll. Carroll is an associate professor of English and creative writing at UFV. His latest work, a collection of fiction and poetry, Madding Aphrodite, will be published this spring.
• Memories: Moments of a Life Story with Chilliwack writer Margaret Evans. Evans is active in the agricultural community and writes weekly for the Chilliwack Progress. Learn the ins and ours of writing your story in a workshop on memoirs.
• Finding Your Voice through Poetry and Song with singer/songwriter Cathy AJ Hardy. This Mission musician will perform a few songs and host a music workshop. Her music has been described as healing, inspiring, hope-filled, and courageous.
• The Mighty Little Chapbook with Steve Duncan. Duncan will take you through the process of making your own chapbook. Only 20 spaces are available for this workshop. Book early.
• Real Life with a Little Bit of Rhythm with slam poetry champion Zaccheus Jackson. Jackson with perform a couple of slam poems and present a workshop that does “mince” words.
• Wading into the Swamp — Getting Messy with Writing with writer-in-residence Daniela Elza.
To register for the festival, call Lifetime Learning Centre at 604-820-0220 or e-mail email@example.com.