Every spring individuals celebrate their mothers on Mother’s Day. It has evolved from a day to honour mothers to one that recognizes all special women. Therefore, if there is a woman in one’s life who isn’t a biological mother — but special nonetheless — Mother’s Day can be a time to tell her how much she is appreciated.
There are many reasons a person may want to honour a woman that is not his or her mother. Perhaps the person’s own mother has passed away or is not prominent in this individual’s life. Maybe there is a grandmother or aunt with whom one is especially close. There may be a teacher or mentor that has touched the life of a person in a special way.
For those who are celebrating all women on Mother’s Day, here are some ways to set the day apart.
• Create a handmade card with personalized sentiments that reflect the unique relationship with this special woman. This can mean more than a prepurchased card that may not offer the right words.
• Find out her interests and spend a day doing entirely what she wants.
• Treat her to a special dinner. Ask about favourite foods and create a meal at home. If dining out is a must, choose a day other than Mother’s Day to avoid the crowds and have intimate moments with just the two of you.
• Find something you both enjoy and then go and do that.
• Have an extended family fiesta. Host a Mother’s Day party at home.