Did you know that only 26 per cent of Canadians between 45 and 54 contribute to a Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) according to Statistics Canada.
The good news is that whether you’re just starting out or approaching retirement, it’s a great time to start saving.
“Contributing to an RRSP has benefits at every age. Starting early allows your savings to accumulate more interest over the years, while contributing in your highest earning years can help you save more on year-end taxes,” says Michelle Adams, from Aldergrove Credit Union’s Mission Community Branch.
And there’s no better time than the start of a new year to commit to your financial goals. Here are 3 simple ways to get started:
- Make saving a priority. Even small contributions add up, especially when you arrange regular, automatic contributions. You’ll save throughout the year and take advantage of year-end tax savings. And while retirement may still be decades away, RRSPs offer other benefits too. Features such as the Home Buyers Plan and Lifelong Learning Plan make RRSPs a great option for saving for your near and far future.
- Contribute to RRSPs and save on year-end taxes. Contributing to your RRSP not only offers retirement savings down the road, it gives you year-end income tax savings too!
- Review and adjust your plan as your life changes. New job? New baby? Retirement? Stay flexible with your plan as you navigate life’s various milestones, and you’ll make the most of your savings plans, no matter your stage of life.
Remember, March 2 is the RRSP contribution deadline for the 2019 taxation year. Not sure how much to contribute? This year’s RRSP contribution room is calculated at 18 per cent of your 2019 earned income to a maximum of $26,500. For your contribution limit visit your CRA account.
Plus, at Aldergrove Credit Union, earn up to 2.65 per cent when you transfer in and invest your RRSP or TFSA in the 18 Plus 18 term deposit.
Find even more in Mission
Of course, RRSPs aren’t the only reason to get to know Aldergrove Credit Union’s new Mission branch!
For a limited time, get up to $450 when you join Aldergrove Credit Union. Here’s how:
- Get $200 when you sign up at getyourshare.ca/aldergrovecu, open an account, and set up a preauthorized deposit or withdrawal
- Get $250 when you Open a free chequing account, bring your payroll to ACU, and get 3 more qualifying products
- Combine both for a total of $450
Plus, you’ll continue to earn for years to come through the memberSHARE Loyalty Program.
Now that’s a great way to kickstart your savings!
Visit Aldergrove Credit Union’s team of Financial Service Advisors at the Mission Community Branch, E100-7871 Stave Lake Street, or call 604-826-1201.