Tyler Street will soon have new street signs. The street was named after John Tylor, who homesteaded on land near Clay Street. His great granddaughter, who is a genealogist, asked Mission council to rename the street to reflect the correct spelling of Tylor’s name.
But after discussing the issue with residents on the street, who had some concerns, staff recommended a compromise of a sign with both spellings and a message indicating information about the spelling inconsistency can be found at the Mission Archives. John Tylor (1866-1949) is buried in Hatzic Cemetery.