Firefighters put out a detached garage fire on Malquist Avenue Tuesday morning around 6:15 a.m.

Firefighters put out a detached garage fire on Malquist Avenue Tuesday morning around 6:15 a.m.

Battery failure starts fire

Mission firefighters put out flames on Malquist Avenue

Four puppies are lucky be alive after the detached shop they were sleeping in on Malquist Avenue went up in flames shortly after their owner took them out for the morning.

There was no indication at that time something was wrong.

Mission firefighters from three halls were called to the home around 6:15 a.m. Tuesday morning, said Fire Chief Bob Cannon, noting the fire was not suspicious.

Captain Fire Prevention Officer Mike Schmidt spent the day combing through the charred remains and determined the battery on a motorcycle was the cause of the fire.

The shop, located about 70 feet away from the main house, contained numerous tools and a motorcycle with a battery which was being charged.

It was the battery and not the charger that caused the fire, said Schmidt, noting the home was not damaged. He estimates the damage could exceed $30,000.

Schmidt advised vehicle owners when charging a battery, never do it in the vehicle or motorcycle.

“Alway remove it,” he continued. “If it’s serviceable, check the fluid level and make sure the area is well ventilated and clear of combustibles.”

You can’t tell when a battery will fail, he said.