Former superintendent drops civil claim

Case dismissed by both parties, said school board statement

Former Mission school district superintendent Frank Dunham has dropped a lawsuit against the Mission school district.

The case has been dismissed by both parties, according to a statement released by school board trustee Edie Heinrichs on Wednesday.

“The school district was always of the view that the claim filed by Mr. Dunham did not have legal merit and we are pleased this matter is now completed,” she said.

In March 2013, Dunham alleged his former employer breached his employment contract and filed a civil claim in B.C. Supreme Court to try to get compensation in recognition of his long service, in addition to his severance package.

Details of the severance Dunham received are confidential, says Heinrichs who described it as “lucrative.”

According to the Statement of Executive Compensation on the Mission Public School’s website, in the 2012-2013 fiscal year, Dunham’s employment was terminated in January 2013, and he received 18 months salary continuance as severance. The same document states Dunham was paid $204,106 during the last fiscal year, which ran from June 2012 to June 2013. He received $188,996 in 2010-2011 and $200,210 in 2010-2011.

Dunham started in Mission in 1981 as a Grade 5/6 teacher and was promoted numerous times until he was became superintendent in 2004. He was on a personal leave for six months before his employment ended in January last year.