FVRD begins consultation process for organic waste ban

Process will begin with pre-consultation with businesses and community leaders, says board chair Sharon Gaetz

Organic waste could eventually be banned from all garbage cans in the Fraser Valley, but new rules wouldn’t be put in place until after a lengthy consultation process.

That process is about to begin, and a full plan could be in place by the end of this year, said FVRD chair Sharon Gaetz.

“We’re really early in the process of exploring organic program for FVRD,” she said. “Over the next few months we’re going to do some pre-consultation work.”

The FVRD isn’t aware of “any other jurisdiction that’s undertaken a pre-consultation process for an organics diversion program,” she added.

Fraser Valley Regional District staffer Stacey Barker presented a brief overview to the board recently to explain the process. Barker said it’s the first step in a large leap toward reducing waste in landfills.

“This is a significant endeavor to accomplish,” Barker said, and for the multi-year plan “this is the first baby step.”

The proposed FVRD Organics Disposal Ban would eventually apply to all households and businesses. The plan is in response to a growing movement toward removing food waste from other waste products.

“It’s the number one comment we’ve received from the public,” she said: “‘When are we going to have food waste come out of our garbage?'”

There is no solid timeframe yet, as that will depend on the results of the upcoming consultation process. Gaetz said it’s bound to be a well-received program, based on what the FVRD has heard so far.

“We think the people’s appetite is strong for organic diversion and reclamation,” she said. “We’re really looking forward to and are excited about ramping out a program for our communities.”

Over the next few months, the FVRD will be approaching businesses and community leaders from all around the region.

“Once we have all that information we’ll establish a timeline where residents and businesses can get involved and share their thoughts,” Gaetz said.

They want to have the full consultation plan ready by the end of this year.

“Sometimes you hear that people feel they are not properly consulted when a new program or initiative is put in place. We feel the best way to ensure consultation process works for businesses and residents is to ask them for their opinion before the decision is made.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Just Posted

UPDATE: Rockslide keeps Coquihalla northbound lane closed

Highway 5 is closed in one direction.

UPDATE: Wind warning ends for Metro Vancouver after thousands lose power

More than 34,000 BC Hydro customers in the dark on Sunday morning in the Lower Mainland and Sunshine Coast

Downtown Mission: Ready to revitalize

With the bidding process underway, construction could start by mid-March

Guilty plea issued in case where man, 86, was assaulted and robbed

Hughie Stump pleads guilty to break-and-enter in relation to Abbotsford incident

WIND WARNING: Metro Vancouver expecting 100 km/h gusts Saturday night

Environment Canada issues warns of possibly dangerous conditions

VIDEO: Mission City Indoor Farmers Market returns

Market kicks off 2018 schedule on Saturday

Coal dust escaping rail cars spurs B.C. petition

Local governments are on board with Shuswap resident’s request for better control of escaping particulate

Lawyers slam ‘de facto expulsion’ of student guilty of sexual interference

Calgary student guilty of sexual assault of a minor allowed to finish semester

B.C. NDP set to restructure union bargaining

School trustees to regain control over employer group

A new development surrounding plane that went missing around Revelstoke in November

The family of Ashley Bourgeault believe they have found a new clue

$130K could get you on a dive to the Titanic

Hot summer ticket: $130K could get you on a dive to the Titanic off Newfoundland

UK’s Princess Eugenie, daughter of Prince Andrew, engaged

Princess Eugenie, the daughter of Prince Andrew and his ex-wife Sarah Ferguson, will marry Jack Brooksbank in Autumn 2018

German nurse charged with 97 more murders

Niels Hoegel, serving a life sentence for two murders, has been indicted in nearly 100 more killings.

Two men guilty in murders of Alberta family could face 75 years

The pair were found guilty of first-degree murder in the shooting deaths of Klaus’s parents and sister in a rural home near Castor, Alberta

Most Read