An overnight accidental fire at Hatzic Secondary School closed the building Monday.
Mission Fire/Rescue Service was called to the high school around 9:30 p.m. Sunday and found the blaze located in a science lab store room in the west wing.
Investigators determined Monday morning it originated in a fire-rated storage container. Plastic left on top of the canister eventually caught fire and the smoke triggered the sprinkler system, which limited damage to that room.
While some chemicals were kept there, Fire Chief Ian Fitzpatrick said they were diluted sufficiently so there was no hazardous materials concern, a sentiment echoed by Superintendent of Schools Frank Dunham.
The school district is waiting to find out how much smoke, if any, was drawn into the ventilation system before deciding whether to open Hatzic tomorrow, said Dunham.
He expected to be able to make a decision by the end of Monday.
Check back here for details or visit the school district’s website.