Inter-municipal business licence program made permanent

Mission was part of nine Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley municipalities to begin the program on a test basis in 2012.

  • Nov. 15, 2015 5:00 p.m.

Mission council has approved making the inter-municipal business licence permanent for contractors in the construction industry.

Mission was part of a group of nine Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley municipalities to begin the inter-municipal licence program on a test basis in 2012. The licences, which cost $250 per year, are sold in the home municipality of the contractor, who must also have a business licence in that city. They can then be used in each of the municipalities that have signed on to the program.

In addition to the program being made permanent, the District of Kent and the Corporation of Delta are now joining in. That will mean the licences are valid in all municipalities from Delta on the south side of the river and Pitt Meadows on the north side to Hope in the east, with the exceptions of White Rock and Harrison Hot Springs.

The joint committee which has recommended the program be made permanent agreed that the mobile business licences would not work outside the construction industry, as “broadening the list of eligible business types beyond the construction industry could pose considerable risk in that the bylaws of a participating municipality could be compromised.”

The types of business that qualify for the licences has been broadened slightly to include those that do maintenance and repair of land and buildings. Thus companies such as carpet cleaning services and janitorial firms could get such a licence.

In 2014, Mission sold 84 inter-municipal business licences. Surrey, the largest city taking part in the program, sold 439 licences, while Abbotsford sold 404. Each municipality keeps 90 per cent of the revenue from the licences, and shares the other 10 per cent with the remaining participants.

The inter-municipal licences have been a longstanding initiative sought by many chambers of commerce, and are also supported by the provincial ministry of small business

“I’m happy this is more permanent,” said Coun. Pam Alexis.

 

Just Posted

Woman charged with attempted murder after Mission assault

Victim in hospital in stable condition after Maple Ridge woman allegedly attacks him

Police investigate apparent impaired-driving crash

Incident took place in Abbotsford on Thursday night

If it snows, move your car

Streets in Mission that have cars parked on them, won’t get plowed this winter

Three days in the ER, not uncommon in Abbotsford: report

One in 10 admitted patients spends more than 69 hours in emergency

#MeToo at work: How reporting sexual harassment works – and how it doesn’t

British Columbians have four options to report harassment or assault, but none of them are easy

VIDEO: Average Canadian food bill to rise by $348 in 2018

Atlantic Canada and B.C. will see the most increases for consumers

Court denies WestJet’s bid to toss out discrimination lawsuit of former worker

Mandalena Lewis is suing WestJet over allegations of gender-based discrimination

VIDEO: 3 months later, rescued sea lion released back into ocean

The young animal was found in Campbell River three months ago

Sagmoen neighbours recall alleged hammer attack

Woman was screaming outside Maple Ridge townhouse in 2013

UPDATED: Train collides with car in Maple Ridge

Mother and child both uninjured, track cleared at 11 a.m.

Accused B.C. drug smuggler to be extradited

Supreme Court of Canada upholds extradition order for accused Shuswap drug smuggler, Colin Martin

One convicted, two cleared in 2014 deaths of men in B.C.’s Cariboo

Andrew Jongbloets convicted of manslaughter in deaths of Matthew Hennigar, 23 and Kalvin Andy, 22

VIDEO: Pedestrian struck by vehicle caught on security camera

Incident points to danger on the roads not only in low light but also in bright sunshine

AHUS patient Shantee Anaquod is home for Christmas

Less than a month after receiving first dose of $750K drug, 23 year old healthy enough to go home

Most Read