Kitchen fire put out by residents

Kitchen fire put out by residents

A Mission family won’t be living in their home for a while after a kitchen fire Tuesday afternoon.

Local firefighters were called to the house on Ptarmigan Drive, where an unattended pot on the stove lead to a blaze which destroyed the appliance and many of the cupboards, said Chief Ian Fitzpatrick.

A father and son were home at the time, and managed to get the fire out before crews arrived.

Fitzpatrick noted there were no batteries in the smoke alarm, and said even those few extra seconds of notice may have reduced the amount of damage.

The two people were treated by B.C. Ambulance paramedics on scene, and released. The house was fully insured, and the family will be put up overnight by Mission’s Emergency Social Services, he added.