Community groups will receive almost $129,000 in grant money from the District of Mission this year.
Council approved a list of grants – both for community events and community enhancement – as recommended by the Municipal Grants Select Committee. A total of $85,000 in grants will go towards community enhancement while an additional $43,600 are dedicated to events.
Mission Mayor Randy Hawes said he is pleased that this year’s grants are free from any political influence.
“To ensure that there isn’t any undo influence from councillors, or the mayor, on the grants committee to favour, or not favour, any particular applicant, we have ensured that there are no elected people on the grants advisory committee,” he explained.
Coun. Pam Alexis said an “overhaul” of the grants process is needed, including the timing of when they are presented.
“Some of these events are already over,” she said.
The largest grant given this year is for $16,000 to the Mission Heritage Association for Canada Day celebrations. The smallest is $300 to the Mission Artist Association.
Events grants were awarded to:
- Royal Canadian Legion (veteran recognition) $5,000
- Mission Association for Community Living (Illuminaria Celebration) $5,000
- Mission & District Soapbox Derby Association $5,000
- Fraser Valley Bald Eagle Festival $4,100
- Mission Heritage Association (Canada Day) $16,000
- Mission Community Services (Diwali Festival) $2,000
- Mission Downtown Business Association (MissionFest) $3,500
- Mission District Historical Society (Heritage Week) $3,000
Enhancement grants include:
- Big Brother/Big Sisters of the Fraser Valley $2,500
- Centennial Place $1,275
- Mission Arts Council (Children’s Festival) $3,000
- Greater Vancouver Youth Unlimited $7,500
- Joy Vox Community Choir $500
- Mission Artist Association $300
- Mission City Boxing Association $2,000
- Mission City Farmer’s Market Society $3,000
- Mission Community Services Society: Family Place $4,000; Seniors’ Connection $4,000
- Mission Downtown Business Association $7,400
- Mission Elks Lodge #30 $1,000
- Mission Folk Music Festival $5,000 (To be paid directly to the MHA for park rental on behalf of the festival.)
- Mission Friends of the Library $1,000
- Mission Friendship Centre Society $3,000
- Mission Genealogy Club $500
- Mission Heritage Association $8,500
- Mission Hospice Society $1,500
- Mission Marlins Swim Club $1,000
- Mission Minor Football Association $4,500
- Mission Minor Lacrosse Club $1,000
- Mission Senior’s Centre Association (Seniors’ Week) $1,000
- New Heights – Hope Central $9,000
- Opening Nite Theatre Society $4,500
- Serenata Singers $500
- Special Olympics BC – Mission $2,000
- Steelhead Community Association $2,000
- Valley Singers $500
- Optimist Club of Mission $3,000
- Groups can expect to receive cheques in the coming weeks.