Mission house fire started around meter

A trust fund has been set up to help the Mission family

Trish Regan and her children are looking for permanent accommodations after a house fire destroyed her home and severely damaged the neighbour’s residence.

A fire that originated around a smart meter has left two Mission families homeless and their possessions destroyed, but BC Hydro and the fire chief say the blaze was not caused by the meter.

Burdock Street’s Trish Regan says the fire started June 15, a day after the new meter was installed.

She was at work when the installer came to the home, and Trish’s daughter Kylina said the technician tried to install it three different ways before he left.

“In terms of the fire, we can definitely confirm the origin of the fire. The burn patterns all originate where the housing for the smart meter sits. And quite clearly it’s not the smart meter,” said Mission Fire/Rescue Chief Ian Fitzpatrick.

Fiona Taylor, BC Hydro project officer for the Smart Metering program, said the company replaces 35,000-45,000 meters every year of both old and smart meters, and have found what is termed “meter base failures” in 0.05 per cent of cases, which hydro claims is the cause of the Mission fire.

The base is a homeowner asset usually installed by the original developer of the home to which an electricity company can connect, she explained.

“We really feel for the customer. I mean, that’s a difficult situation, it’s pretty horrific, so we certainly appreciate that this is a stressful time,” said Taylor.

Keith Anderson, BC Hydro’s director of deployment of the Smart Metering program, said the BC Hydro worker who installed the meter is considered a quality and experienced technician. He said the technician checked for any faulty wiring or other problems during installation but found none.

Of the 1.35 million meters BC Hydro has installed, Anderson said technicians have discovered about 1,000 meter base failures. Of those, 11 were considered “significant electrical incidents,” and three resulted in smoke or fires, however the technician was on the scene during each of those times.

Anderson said this is the first time a fire has started from a meter base failure after a smart meter install.

The night of the fire, Trish was sleeping and Kylina was watching TV when she thought she heard firecrackers. She went outside and saw a fire creeping up the wall.

Trish tried to put the fire out with a garden hose, but the heat was too intense.

The fire spread from the wall to the cars and the gasoline further fueled the flames. She wanted to move her cars from the side of the house but by that time electrical wires had fallen over the vehicles. She lost a Ford F-150, Jeep Grand Cherokee and a 1976 Land Cruiser as a result. The fire then moved to the garage and the attic, and eventually spread to her neighbours’ home, occupied by five people.

At the height of the inferno, the flames were 65 feet high and spectators could feel the heat from 14 Avenue.

The blow is doubly difficult for Trish, who lost her husband Kenneth two-and-a-half years ago in a car accident. She’s been living on the life insurance ever since, with her 20-year-old daughter and 18-year-old son, while making extra money as a house and office cleaner. But her equipment was destroyed and she is now unable to work.

Trish is now renting a house for $2,500 a month that’s being paid for by her insurance company.

“I’ve been waiting patiently for BC Hydro to contact me and they haven’t.”

Hydro’s Taylor said an employee checked to ensure the families were safe and put up in a hotel, but have had to wait for the investigation to end before contacting anyone.

“All we can do is provide facts and provide the expertise that comes from our day jobs, which is providing safe and secure electricity to our customers,” said Taylor.

A trust fund has been set up for the Regan family at Canada Trust. You can contact the family through the “Regan Family Fire Support” page on Facebook.

Just Posted

‘Compassion club’ operator loses bid to have pot-trafficking charges thrown out

Bob Woolsey of Mission argues that laws were not valid at the time of alleged offences

Location eyed for possible collector well

New estimate puts price tag of new water source at $81 million

Police investigate sexual assault of teen girl in Abbotsford

Incident occurred Wednesday night along Oriole Crescent

Bad behaviour to lead to expulsion at Abbotsford council

New rules lay out how a member can be booted from a meeting

More extreme weather beds needed in Mission

Council allocates another $5,000 to help keep people safe, warm and dry

B.C. cougar kitten rescued after mother struck by vehicle

Conservation Officers find home for young kitten found dehydrated and frostbitten near Williams Lake

Chilliwack board of education asks Neufeld to resign

Neufeld says he intends to stay on as trustee despite vote by peers

Las Vegas shooter acted alone, exact motive still undetermined: Sheriff

Stephen Paddock was behind the gunfire that killed 58 people including two Canadians

Botox, bomb shelters, and the blues: one year into Trump presidency

A look into life in Washington since Trump’s inauguration

Friends filling a fridge with love in Chilliwack

Meal Train helping family enjoy more moments together following cancer diagnosis

Curlers will be rocking the Mission rink

Several local curling events coming to the MGCC

NEB issues ruling on dispute resolution between Trans Mountain and local governments

Project said to be in the public interest but company is required to comply with municipal laws

Christopher Garnier appealing murder conviction in death of off-duty cop

Jury found Garnier guilty in December, rejecting his claim she died accidentally during rough sex

Transportation watchdog must revisit air passenger obesity complaint

Canadian Transportation Agency must take new look at Gabor Lukacs’ complaint against Delta Air Lines

Most Read