Mission residents urged to follow fire safety tips to prevent burns. (Black Press Media file photo)

Mission residents urged to follow fire safety tips to prevent burns. (Black Press Media file photo)

Mission resident airlifted to hospital with burns to the face

Follow simple safety tips to avoid burns

A frantic rescue took place Tuesday night after a Mission resident suffered burns to their face.

Mission Fire Rescue Service told the Record that one person needed to be transported by Air Ambulance.

Firefighters aided the patient as they needed to be flown out from Albert McMahon Elementary School at Cedar Street and Cherry Avenue in north Mission.

The fire department didn’t know how the person was burned in the face, but said it wasn’t due to fireworks. Halloween is a time that is notorious for injuries due to fireworks.

Many ordinary things in a home — including bath water, food and electrical outlets — can cause burns. To prevent burns at home, here are some tips from the Mayo Clinic:

Reduce water temperature. Set the thermostat on your hot water heater to below 120 F (48.9 C). Aim for bath water around 100 F (38 C). Check the temperature of bath water with your hand before putting your child in the bath.

Avoid hot spills. Don’t cook, drink, or carry hot beverages or foods while holding a child. Keep hot foods and liquids away from table and counter edges. Don’t use tablecloths or place mats, which young children can pull down. Turn the handles of your pots and pans toward the rear of the stove and use back burners when possible. Don’t leave the stove unattended when you’re cooking.

Establish ‘no’ zones. Block access to the stove, fireplace, space heaters and radiators. Don’t leave a child unattended in a room when these items are in use.

Keep hot devices out of reach. Store items designed to get hot, such as clothes irons or curling irons, unplugged and out of reach.

Test food temperature before feeding young children. Be careful with food or liquids warmed in a microwave, which might heat foods unevenly. Never warm a baby’s bottle in the microwave.

Choose a cool-mist vaporizer. They prevent steam burns.

Address outlets and electrical cords. Cover unused electrical outlets with safety caps. Keep electrical cords and wires out of the way so that children don’t pull on or chew on them. Replace frayed, broken or worn electrical cords.

Choose fire-resistant fabrics. Check labels to make sure mattresses and pajamas meet federal flammability standards.

READ MORE; ‘Everything is gone’: Mission family loses everything in fire


 

@shinebox44
chris.campbell@missioncityrecord.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

firefighters

Be Among The First To Know

Sign up for a free account today, and receive top headlines in you inbox Monday to Saturday.

Sign Up with google Sign Up with facebook

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Reset your password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

A link has been emailed to you - check your inbox.



Don't have an account? Click here to sign up