Categories: Home2 News

Mouse infestation hit Langley hospital’s kitchens

A mouse infestation left droppings in the kitchens of Langley Memorial Hospital this spring, according to Fraser Health’s own food safety inspection reports.

The problem was first noted in November of 2018, when inspectors found a “few mouse droppings in the NE [north east] corner of the receiving area.”

The report said corrective action had to be taken, including a pest control contractor to be called in, repairing weather stripping under the outer door to prevent mice getting in, and a thorough cleaning.

Six months later, the next routine inspection found the situation had only gotten worse.

“Evidence of mouse infestation (mice droppings and urine) noticed in the following areas of the kitchen,” the health report says.

By now the mice were near the loading dock, under dry storage shelving, and along the walls in some storage areas and near a decommissioned walk-in cooler.

“Note: pest monitoring logs from the pest control contractor indicated ‘no activity’ on its recent inspection report,” said the food safety report.

The report found there were gaps under the loading bay doors and in the main receiving doors near the hospital mail room, inadequate weather stripping at the Rosewood and Marwood facilities, a hole was found in drywall and an open pipe in the decommissioned cooler offered a potential home for rodents.

In addition, there was a build-up of food debris and beverage spills in some areas and sanitizers were being used improperly.

The hazard rating for the LMH kitchens was rated as 36. The report notes anything over 30 is a high hazard rating.

A follow-up inspection two days later found that many of the immediate risks had been dealt with. A list of 10 specific changes were handed down that had to be completed within a few days to two weeks, including adding more bait stations, removing anything nearby that could harbour rodents, replacing weather stripping on loading dock doors, and cleaning up dust.

“Mice droppings were still visible underneath shelving and other hard-to-reach areas,” the report noted.

However, the report found the overall risk was now low.

A Fraser Health spokesperson said licensing officers take the safety and well-being of people very seriously.

“Immediate action was taken to resolve the problem and a follow-up inspection occurred two days later,” said a statement from Fraser Health. “The licensing officers were satisfied appropriate actions were taken and the kitchen’s hazard rating returned to ‘low.’”

There was no impact on the safety of the food being served, Fraser Health said.

Appropriate control measures are continuing, the spokesperson said.

Matthew Claxton

Share
Published by
Matthew Claxton

Recent Posts

  • Home
  • Local News
  • News

Petition says pot-grow stench led to ‘Summer of Stink’

Province urged to ‘Stop the Smell’ in the Fraser Valley

9 mins ago
  • Community
  • Home

TWITTER: Abbotsford’s school year begins

School district’s busy Twitter feed shows off early highlights

39 mins ago
  • Life

Dr. Ana Teresa Armas Enriquez advocates for women’s health

Women’s Vita medical clinic allows doctor’s true identity to shine

39 mins ago
  • Home2
  • News

‘I was just looking out at the beautiful lake’: Quesnel hiker survives 70-foot fall

Friends have set up a GoFundMe for the 23-year-old single father as he recovers in Vancouver

9 hours ago
  • Canada & World
  • Home2
  • Sports

Horvat paces Canucks to 6-1 pre-season win over Oilers

Vancouver improves to 3-1 in NHL exhibition action

10 hours ago
  • News

Cannabis, booze most common causes of youth substance-use hospitalizations: report

About 23,500 young people were hospitalized for harm caused by substance use over one year in Canada

13 hours ago