Prince Harry has offered his support to a new initiative to clear land mines from a wilderness area in Angola, saying it will protect lives and help communities.
In backing the 47-million-pound ($60 million) initiative of the Angolan government and the Halo Trust, Harry continued work on a cause championed by his late mother, Princess Diana. She drew attention to the African nation’s dangerous minefields by stepping onto one.
The funds will be used to clear 153 minefields in an area with vital waterways to the Okavango Delta. The Halo Trust hopes foreign governments and individuals will match the funds pledged by the Angolan government.
Speaking Monday at London’s Chatham House think-tank , Harry said Angola’s wilderness was “an asset that should be protected, celebrated and benefited by its people.”
The Associated Press
Fifty theatrical productions were nominated from last year’s theatre season
Woodgrove Centre shut down during police incident
Last known case of human rabies in B.C. was 16 years ago
Warrant issued for arrest of North Vancouver man for TD Bank robbery
Crown says sentence range should be 18 months to two years for Bountiful child removal case
Megan Kinnee, 19, died in collision on July 13, 2018