A White Rock RCMP officer reaches for a man on White Rock’s broken pier, Sunday. (Randy Cosenzo photo)

RCMP pull trespasser off White Rock’s broken pier

Man issued trespassing ticket for “clean up” effort

White Rock RCMP say safety is their main concern after they had to pull a man off the broken pier Sunday afternoon.

White Rock photographer Randy Cosenzo was nearby at the time of the incident, and took photographs as an officer “coaxed” a man up to the pier deck.

“It was very strange,” Cosenzo told Peace Arch News Monday. “He was on the shoreline. He took parts of a sailboat that were already on the shore. He kind of tied them together to make a raft, believe it or not.”

Cosenzo said the man climbed the cross braces under the pier before he was “nabbed by the long arm of the law.”

Cosenzo said it appeared that the man was trying to remove a sail, which was tangled on the pier after the Dec. 20 storm that severed the structure into two.

White Rock RCMP Sgt. Rob Dixon told PAN via email Monday that the man was attempting to “clean up” some of the debris. The man received a trespassing ticket.

“Public safety is our main concern and anyone in the area is putting not only themselves, but anyone who has to come in and deal with them, at risk,” Dixon wrote. “Tickets will be issued to anyone who is located within the restricted area.”

To date, the RCMP have issued seven trespassing tickets to people who crossed barriers at the pier and promenade. Each ticket is accompanied by a fine of $115.

Hundreds of people crossed city barricades Jan. 5 to view damage caused by the storm on East Beach. Afterwards, the city erected reinforced barriers and additional no trespassing signs.

Last week, White Rock Mayor Darryl Walker reiterated “in the strongest possible terms” that East Beach and the pier pose a danger risk to those who ignore barriers.

Saturday, Karen Loveys, who has “been cleaning up garbage on this beach almost each day since the storm,” emailed PAN, and took issue with the directive to not visit the pier or east promenade.

“The RCMP were issuing trespassing “tickets” today on orders from the mayor of White Rock,” Loveys wrote. “Which is ridiculous. The offense of trespass is on private property in this country and not public lands.”

Loveys wrote that picking up garbage “is not an indictable offense.”

“If the plastics are not picked up they will end up in the ocean at the next storm.”

In a video posted to the city’s website Friday, Walker said the promenade, between the pier and white rock, will open some time in February.

Walker said the pier won’t be rebuilt until August, and repair cost and cleanup is expected to be near $6 million.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Man from Mexico reported missing in Abbotsford

Antonio Fernandez, 29, was last seen on Monday, May 25

Crane truck topples over at Abbotsford courthouse construction site

Nobody injured in incident on Trethewey Street and George Ferguson Way

Chilliwack trustee removed from committees, district invites

Barry Neufeld’s censure involves four forms of reprimand due to recent Facebook post

FVRD activates its emergency operations centre to monitor Fraser River levels

FVRD activates its emergency operations centre to monitor Fraser River levels

Mission senior honours fallen Snowbird

Bruce Smith, 78, decorated his car with various pieces of military memorabilia to raise awareness

B.C. retirement home creates innovative ‘meet-up’ unit for elderly to see family face-to-face

Innovative ‘purpose-built’ unit keeps residents safe when seeing family for first time since COVID-19

Facing changes together: Your community, your journalists

The importance of accurate, ethical reporting is critical – perhaps as never before

Fraser Valley libraries to offer contactless hold pick-ups

FVRL Express — Click, Pick, Go service to be offered at all 25 locations starting June 1

B.C.’s essential grocery, hardware store employees should get pandemic pay: retail group

Only B.C.’s social, health and corrections workers are eligible for top-ups

Edmonton, Vancouver and Toronto vying to be NHL hubs, but there’s a catch

The NHL unveiled a return-to-play plan that would feature 24 teams

B.C. sees 9 new COVID-19 cases, one death as officials watch for new cases amid Phase Two

Number of confirmed active cases is at 244, with 37 people in hospital

Nanaimo senior clocked going 50 km/hr over limit says her SUV shouldn’t be impounded

RCMP say they can’t exercise discretion when it comes to excessive speeding tickets

United Way allocating $6.6M in federal funding to help with food security, youth mental health

Applications from Fraser Valley and Lower Mainland charities being accepted for the emergency funding

Illicit-drug deaths up in B.C. and remain highest in Canada: chief coroner

More than 4,700 people have died of overdoses since B.C. declared a public health emergency in early 2016

Most Read