Many Mission homes are without power due to yesterday’s winter storm. A total of 18 separate power outages are currently affecting Mission and its surrounding communities.
BC Hydro listed Mission as one of the hardest hit areas in a 5 p.m. update on Dec. 21, which said 6,800 customers were without power.
Crews are currently assigned to three of the 18 outages, two of the repairs have been suspended, while the remaining 13 have not been assigned a crew yet.
Several of the outages were caused downed power lines.
“Yesterday’s heavy, wet snow snowfall added weight to branches and trees, which caused them to break and come into contact with BC Hydro’s electrical equipment,” said BC Hydro in their morning update at 6:30 a.m. “As a result, all available BC Hydro crews and contractor crews will continue to work around the clock repairing the extensive damage until power is restored.”
Below is a list of the six largest outages affecting the communities. This list will be updated throughout the day:
- UPDATE: Power has been restored. The largest outage on Hatzic Island is affecting 1,744 customers and has been off since 5:31 a.m., Dec. 22. Crews are on site.
- UPDATE: Crews are on site. The second largest is in the Steelhead community, north of Cameron Ave. It’s affecting 441 customers, and power has been out since 2:06 p.m., Dec. 21. It was caused by a tree falling across power wires.
- UPDATE: Crews have been assigned. The third largest is in an area west of Cedar St., north of Gunn Ave. and east of Keystone Ave. It’s affecting 370 customers and power has been off since Dec. 22, 12:55 am. No crews have been assigned yet.
- The fourth largest is in an area south of Viewcrest Ave., east of Loftus St., north of Silverdale Ave. and west of of Clay St. Power has been off since Dec. 21, 9:17 a.m. and is affecting 199 customers. It was caused by a tree down across wires. No crew has been assigned yet.
- Fallen wires have caused 184 customers to lose power in an area north of Gunn Ave., south of Green Ave., east of Hayward St. and west of Clay St. Power has been out since 6:06 pm, Dec. 21 and repairs have been suspended.
- An outage in an area west of Doyle St., North of Barr St. and east of Richards Ave. has left 63 customers without power since 9:24 p.m., Dec. 21. No crew has been assigned yet.
Information on the other outages can be found at: https://www.bchydro.com/power-outages/app/outage-map.html.