Investigators examine the scene of a fire in the 32300 block of the Lougheed Highway Wednesday morning that claimed the life of one person.

UPDATED: One person dies in Mission mobile home fire

Firefighters were called out to a fully involved mobile home fire Wednesday morning

One person has been killed in a fire that consumed a mobile home early Wednesday morning.

Police and fire officials, as well as the coroner’s office, continued with their investigations throughout the day at the trailer park, located near Lougheed Highway and Highway 11.

It’s too early to determine the cause of the fire or if it was intentionally set, said Mission RCMP Sgt. Shaun Wright.

“We haven’t confirmed the identity [of the deceased] at this point.”

The body was discovered after the fire was put out, and police also don’t know the gender of the victim. An autopsy was scheduled for Thursday.

Firefighters were called around 4:45 a.m. and the home was engulfed in flames when they arrived, said Fire Chief Larry Watkinson.

Residents in the mobile home community were awoken by the sirens and most went out to see the commotion, said Myrle Ginther, who owns the unit near the entrance of the park.

Ginther’s sister, Bev Coldwall, who was spending the night, heard the sirens first.

“I heard thump, thump,” recalled Coldwall. “I saw the lights and peaked through the window.”

Initially, she thought a neighbour was ill, but when she saw the flames shooting into the sky, she called for her sister.

Ginther doesn’t know her neighbours well, and thought the trailer that was on fire was vacant.

“When I bought this place three years ago, that one was for sale too,” said Ginther, who believed the trailer was still for sale before the fire.

“An older fellow was living there at the time,” she recalled. “But I don’t think he’s been there for a long time. I haven’t seen anyone there in a while.”

A man who lives six units up from the destroyed trailer and didn’t want to be identified also said he didn’t know who lived at that location.

The man was alerted to the fire by someone yelling from the street.

“Everyone was out looking around,” he said.