VIDEO: Bakerview home heavily damaged by fire

Investigator says improper use of butane started blaze

Firefighters spent close to three hours battling a house fire on Bakerview Avenue Wednesday night.



A house in the 32800 block of Bakerview Avenue was significantly damaged by fire Wednesday night.

It took Mission firefighters close to three hours to put out the blaze that started around 7 p.m., said Assistant Fire Chief Blaine Odenbach.

The two male occupants inside the house were airlifted to hospital with burns, he added.

According to Captain Mike Schmidt, Mission’s fire prevention officer, improper use of butane inside the house started the fire.

Schmidt noted there was an “abnormal amount” of butane located, but said ignition sources, like the furnace or hot water tank, have not been ruled out as the cause.

Neighbours on the street reported hearing more than half a dozen explosions coming from the home.

A resident who has lived on the street for 17 years said the house was engulfed in flames by the time she went outside to find out what shook her house.

“It was scary because you never know what’s in there,” she told The Record.