Name: Lillian Spiegl Age: 13
Sport: Skiing – Alpine
Second Language: Hometown: Invermere Zone Name: Kootenays (Zone 1)
1. Why are you committed to your sport?
I am committed to my sport because it is what I love, so I try to be good at it.
2. What are your goals for these Games and in sport?
My goals in the Games are to mainly have fun and a good time, I will try my best but I’m not expecting to
3. How did you train and prepare for the BC Winter Games?
I trained gates at Panorama as usual, I tried to eat more healthy, and got lots of rest.
4. What are your other activities are you involved in (other sports, arts, volunteering)?
I used to be in leadership in Grade 7, I play school sports (volleyball, soccer, basketball) and I babysit and go to camps in the summer a lot.
5. Do you have any family members participating in these Games or who have participated in past BC Games or at national/international events? If yes, please provide details.
My sister Finley participated at the BC winter games, and my dad Helmut coached the Australian, Austrian, Canadian, national and international alpine ski team.
6. Please share any other interesting stories about you and your involvement in sport.
I’m obsessed with Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and other books. That’s pretty much it.
7. Why did you want to try out and qualify for the 2014 BC Winter Games?
I think going to BC Winter Games would be a good experience for traveling with my teammates and to make new friends and interact with new people. Also I have never skied in Hemlock before so that would be a new experience too.
8. Who is your coach and what is the most important thing she/he has taught you?
My coaches are Helmut Spiegl and Janice Smart (I don’t know her maiden name), and they have taught me to enjoy skiing and push myself.I’m
9. Do you have a role model who has made an impact on your life (coach, teacher, family member, etc.)? If so, describe how they have impacted you.
I admire athletes that go to the Olympics because they know that even if they make one mistake everything they’ve trained for is at stake, but they still try because they are determined and they love what they do.
10. What do you consider to be your highest achievement (athletic, academic, or other)?
in school i’m pretty good at English, and my strongest sport is probably soccer.