Name: Megan Kardoes
Sport: Skiing – Alpine
1. Why are you committed to your sport?
I love it!
2. What are your goals for these Games and in sport?
To at least get a top ten finish in GS and SL. I’d like to get a top 3 finish very soon.
3. How did you train and prepare for the BC Winter Games?
I’ve been ski training since the end of November at Interior mountains, Coast mountains and my home mountain (Hemlock Ski Resort). Also during the summer, fall and and currently I have been doing a lot of cross-country running, swimming, biking, and wor.
4. What are your other activities are you involved in (other sports, arts, volunteering)?
Cross-country running, swimming, biking, volleyball. Also, I am a member of the athletic council in my school.
5. Do you have any family members participating in these Games or who have participated in past BC Games or at national/international events? If yes, please provide details.
Yes, my younger sister will fore-run the races and my mom and dad will be volunteers on the mountain.
7. Why did you want to try out and qualify for the 2014 BC Winter Games?
I love ski racing, I’m good at it and I want to see where I might place among all the kids in B.C. who qualified.
8. Who is your coach and what is the most important thing she/he has taught you?
Kelly Blair. He has taught me so many things and especially this year to stay on the line which allows me to get closer to the gates, cross blocking, etc.
9. Do you have a role model who has made an impact on your life (coach, teacher, family member, etc.)? If so, describe how they have impacted you.
My family who have supported me all along. Driving me everywhere, and paying for my gear and trips. Most importantly the love and support. My coach who believes in me and helps me to be a better racer.
10. What do you consider to be your highest achievement (athletic, academic, or other)?
8th place finish in Giant Slalom January 11th , 2014 in Whistler. Right now I have all A’s and B’s in school and am maintaining a B honor roll.