MY House moves forward

Council believes youth centre will improve neighbourhood

Mission Youth House (MY House) is one step closer to opening.

Mission council granted third reading to allow the property on Proctor Lane to be rezoned from multi-family use to commercial after a public hearing Monday night.

Only one person who lived close to the proposed youth service centre had concerns.

“It’s always been a bad area,” said the speaker identified as Joe, adding he was not against the proposal.

He noted the property has not been properly maintained or secured in the past and there are loitering issues in the area. He also suggested lighting be installed on the street.

Mayor Randy Hawes said people who are loitering need to access services like what MY House is offering.

“This is an active program trying to solve the issues you are talking about,” said Hawes.

There will be less people hanging out in the area because the house will be used and monitored, said Coun. Rhett Nicholson, who also lives in the neighbourhood. “I think it will be a good thing for us.”

MY House, slated to open by the end of next month, will be a place at-risk youth can go to for meals, laundry and shower services. There will also be adults available to listen to them and offer advice.

The building on Proctor Lane, owned by Mission Community Services Society, has been vacant for about a year.

Previously, MCSS executive director Sanjay Gulati told The Record the vision is to create a one-point source of information and contact for youth.

MY House is a community initiative that emerged out of the Youth Homelessness Committee.

Third reading was passed unanimously by council.

Just Posted

More extreme weather beds needed in Mission

Council allocates another $5,000 to help keep people safe, warm and dry

Input sought for road works for Maple Ridge

Consultation on Haney Bypass upgrades

Trial begins for man charged with 2010 murder of Mandy Johnson

Langley single mom was fatally shot while in vehicle in Abbotsford

KPU campuses go smoke-free starting Jan. 21 – and that includes vaping

‘We didn’t make this decision lightly’ says prez of the Surrey-based institution

City wants to know about danger quakes pose to Abbotsford’s dike system

City commissioning report to examine seismically unstable flood protections

Solitary-confinement veto a chance to address mental health: advocate

B.C. Supreme Court made the landmark ruling Wednesday

Winter storm coming to B.C. this weekend

The bets are on as to how much snow the province will actually get in the coming days

B.C. civil rights group files complaint about RCMP arrest of man who later died

Dale Culver, a 35-year-old Indigenous man was arrested in Prince George last July

Lawyer says former B.C. government aide ‘barely guilty’ in ethnic vote scandal

Brian Bonney pleaded guilty to a breach of trust charge

Quite a few tears as homemade quilts distributed to residents of Ashcroft Reserve, Boston Flats affected by last summer’s fire

Quilters in B.C. and Alberta worked through the summer and fall to create more than 100 quilts.

Teachers’ union votes for non-confidence in school board

Lack of action after embattled trustee’s comments created unsafe workplace, Chilliwack teachers claim

Island Health: No need for alarm in wake of Victoria needle-prick incidents

Three incidents in a week prompts meeting between health authority, city service providers

B.C. coast loggers celebrate history, hope for improvement

Truck Loggers Association awaits B.C. NDP government’s new direction

Global Affairs aware of report of two Canadians kidnapped in Nigeria

The foreigners were heading south from Kafanchan to Abuja when they were ambushed around Kagarko

Most Read