The cause of a house fire last Thursday (June 16) has yet to be determined.
Mission Fire Rescue Service was called out to a house on Scott Avenue, close to Hurd Street, at about 2 p.m. as smoke could be seen rising from the roof.
The home, which Mission assistant fire chief Blaine Odenbach described as a “duplex turned into a fourplex,” was quickly evacuated.
Odenbach said between seven and 10 people live at the home and none of them was injured in the blaze.
“The fire was mainly contained to the upstairs of the east end unit,” said Odenbach, adding it appears to have started in the kitchen, possibly near the stove.
“It’s really undetermined at this time.”
The fire went into the roof, forcing firefighters to enter the west-side second-floor unit and pull down some of the ceiling in order to stop the blaze from taking the entire roof.
Odenbach said damage to the property was heavy. The building is currently unoccupied as remediation and insurance companies make assessments.
Emergency services were called in to help the residents.
The blaze required a full response from the fire department with members from halls one, two and three in attendance. A BC Hydro truck was also called in to shut off power to the home.