Name: Cynthia Huang
1. Why are you committed to your sport?
I am committed to this sport because I really enjoy it. To me it’s not like other sports and I feel that for netball, people really need to work as a team and because of that, we bond more.
2. What are your goals for these Games and in sport?
My goal is to bond as a team and make some amazing memories but also do well in these games. It would be great if we are able to do well in these games but if we tried hard enough, I think that would be enough.
3. How did you train and prepare for the BC Winter Games?
I joined the school team and I have attended practices on Tuesdays held at Burnaby North. In addition to that, I have joined the leagues and participated in all the practices for the BC Winter Games.
4. What are your other activities are you involved in (other sports, arts, volunteering)?
I participate in many different sports such and basketball and badminton. I have been a ref for basketball games and often volunteered to scoresheet for basketball games.
5. Please share any other interesting stories about you and your involvement in sport.
I actually never thought that i would like netball until one day my friends told me to go to the netball tryouts at school. Funny enough, it was raining that day and in Home Ec we baked pies so I didn’t want to walk home in the rain so that’s why i went to the netball tryouts. Without that pie, I would not where I am today with many new friends.
6. Why did you want to try out and qualify for the 2014 BC Winter Games?
I have always enjoyed playing sports and after my first experience with netball last year, I really fell in love with the sport. I think it would be a great opportunity to meet new people and spend time with my teammates on the team.
7. Who is your coach and what is the most important thing she/he has taught you?
My coach is Megan and some important things she taught me is that it is okay to make mistakes on court. She often encourages the members and teaches us to work as a team.
8. Do you have a role model who has made an impact on your life (coach, teacher, family member, etc.)? If so, describe how they have impacted you.
My mom has made huge impacts on my life. Sometimes I would beat myself up for the mistakes I make but she would aways tell me that its alright and life keeps moving on. My dad has also always been there for me and encouraged me in various ways.
9. What do you consider to be your highest achievement (athletic, academic, or other)?
One of my highest achievements is probably in the academic area. I’ve always been the one with the lowest mark when i was younger but my marks improved drastically ever since I’ve entered high school.