A pair of Mission gymnasts with the Twisters Gymnastics Club captured provincial honours last weekend at the B.C. Gymnastics Championships.
Steven Chaplin earned his title in the national youth category, in addition to qualifying for the Western Canadian Championships (coming up in May in Langley), and the national championships in Regina, also in May.
Jeremy Gaspar was also a B.C. champion in the provincial level 3 category.
The Twisters women’s national open team won second place in the championships.
The women compete in four disciplines: floor, vault, beam, uneven bars. The men compete in six disciplines: pommel horse, high bar, rings, vault, floor, parallel bars. Both men and women also get an all-around score. The Level 1 athletes on the boy's side get gold, silver, or bronze in all disciplines.
Following are all the Mission athletes results:
• Lexi Gaspar: Provincial Level 2 novice; tie for bronze on bars; tie for silver on beam; sixth all-around; gold on bars, silver on floor and tie for gold all-around at the Christy Fraser Memorial.
• Zoe Rumsby, Kip 2: gold on beam, and silver on vault at the Christy Fraser Memorial.
• Tamara Skulstad, Provincial Level 3 Argo: provincial champion on floor; silver on beam, silver all-around.
• Brienna Gaspar, Provincial Level 3 Argo: ninth all-around.
• Katrina Penner-Loat, Provincial Level 3 Novice: silver on beam; tie for fifth all-around.
• Justine Robinson, Provincial Level 4 Novice: ninth all-around.
• Ashlynn Skulstad, National Open: silver on floor, ninth all-around, will compete at the Western Canadian Championships
• Jeremy Gaspar, Level 3 (over 13): gold on pommel horse and parallel bars; silver on rings and high bar; bronze on floor and vault; gold all-around.
• Steven Chaplin, National Youth: gold on parallel bars and high bar; silver on floor, rings, and vault; bronze on pommel horse; gold all-around.